Everyone wants the best possible result from a cosmetic Plastic Surgery. At Yager Esthetics, we give you a list of Preoperative Instructions, and discuss the does and don’ts of the period before your procedure. Unfortunately, few people actually listen or read the papers. Listed below, you will find a few tips to make everything go as smoothly as possible.
1. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your procedure. No water, coffee, gum, cigarettes- nothing. I cancelled a surgery once because a patient was eating 1 gummy bear. It makes the surgery riskier for life threatening pulmonary complications. The only exception is if your doctor wants you to take any medications with a small sip of water.
2. Do not put on any body creams. We do not mind if you are ashy. It makes it impossible to draw on you and make the marks needed for an accurate surgery.
3. Make sure you have at least one finger nail that is of normal length with no red or reddish color on it. We need to monitor your oxygen, and a finger probe is used.
4. Remove all jewelry and piercings. They can get lost, and cannot be worn during a procedure because they could conduct electricity and burn you.
5. Remove contact lenses and false eyelashes. The lenses can scratch you under anesthesia, and the lashes can be damaged by the tape we use to shut your eyes during surgery.
6. Remove any removable teeth, as they can be dislodged and swallowed on intubation.
7. Stop all aspirin containing medications 8 days before surgery. A whole list is given to you at your peop visit. Please read it.
8. Stop smoking 3 weeks in advance. This will lower the risk of wound healing complications.
9. Stop birth control pills and patches 2 weeks in advance. This will reduce your risk of blood clots.
10. Smile, be excited, and be on time!
Have a great surgery.